Latin Stir Fry with Gallo Pinto
Happy Weekend, Pint Jockeys! You’ve made it to the end of another week and we applaud you for that. Have you set your weekend plans yet? Figured out how you’re going to say “Thanks Dad” on Sunday? (Yep, Father’s Day is this weekend. You’re welcome for the reminder.) If the answer to either question is “no,” then you’ve come to the right place. Today we’re sharing a few Costa Rican recipes with you that any dad will love just as much as he’ll appreciate you bringing over some ice cold 12oz cans of our June BOTM, Costa Rican Imperial.
In honor of this special day, we thought we’d switch things up a bit and depart from our usual fare of grilled goodness. So today we present to you not one but two recipes sure to transport Dad to a Costa Rican paradise and make him wonder if you’re moonlighting as “Chef Miguel” on the weekends. We’ll start with a Latin Stir Fry from TastyKitchen.com, which we’ll throw on top of a Costa Rican favorite, Gallo Pinto (Costa Rican Rice and Beans) found on Food.com.
The best part about these two recipes, beside all the fresh ingredients? They’re easy enough to whip up before you sit down to watch a little fútbol (known as “soccer” to us Americans). There are some great matches on Sunday, including one between our very own Houston Dynamo against FC Dallas.
So grab a pen; here’s what you’ll need:
For the Gallo Pinto:
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups cooked white rice
- 2 cups cooked black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 -3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- fresh cilantro (optional)
- sliced green onion (optional)
For the Latin Stir Fry:
- 1 whole bell pepper
- 1 whole jalapeño
- ½ whole onion, white or yellow
- 2 whole chicken breasts
To prepare the Gallo Pinto:
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion and sauté until it just begins to soften and turns color.
- Add garlic and sauté for about 5 minutes, or until onion is golden.
- Add spices and Worcestershire, and stir into onion and garlic.
- Next, add the beans and then the rice.
- Combine the rice and beans evenly and cook until mixture is heated through.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
To prepare the Latin Stir Fry:
- Remove the white membranes and seeds from your peppers.
- Chop your veggies into bite-sized pieces.
- Grill vegetables on medium-high heat or on a grill, until you reach desired char-ness. (15-20 minutes is about where I stop.)
- Season chicken as desired, then cook/grill until the meat turns white. Cut into bite-sized pieces.
- Serve over Gallo Pinto and enjoy!
Don’t be timid when it comes to adding all that Worchester sauce to your Gallo Pinto. We know it’s a lot, but we say BE BOLD when it comes to trying this dish!
Dad will thank you for thinking of something different and you’ll be happy you have something with a little kick to go with your ice-cold Imperial. As they say: When in Costa Rica, do as the Costa Ricans do.Have a great weekend and give Dad a pat on the back; he deserves it!